Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My rock star

Oliver rocked it today...He LOVED school and is excited to go back on Thursday!  We talked school up so much over the weekend and told him all about how the day would go...Mommy would bring him in and he'd stay and play with Miss Ashley and his new friends.  He'd play with new toys and eat his snack.  Then Mommy would come back and get him and we'd go home for lunch.  He wanted to hear the story over and over and every time, he'd say, "yeah", in agreement.  It actually went as planned, which isn't always the case with a 23 month-old in a new situation.  :)  We walked in and passed by many crying kids.  A mom came out of his classroom (they keep the door closed) and said that everyone was crying, I figured that we were in for it.  We dropped all of his stuff in his cubby and I gave him a big hug.  I opened the door and saw the crying kids...Oliver gave them a once-over, said hi to Miss Ashley and headed for a toy firetruck.  I took that opportunity to sneak out.  I shed a couple of tears in the car and headed off to Target.  They're building a new Chick-Fil-A in the center where Target is and I always drive by with Oliver to see the trucks and check on the progress, but not today (they really are coming along on it though, I took a quick glance!).  I thought about him all morning and I was so happy to see him when I pulled up to the front of the pick-up line.  He was happy to see me too, he said, "MOMMY!".  He then got into the car and his eyes filled with tears b/c he wanted Daddy.  :(  We called Daddy and he told us how he cried a little but "the lady" picked him up.  The funniest part of his recap was when I asked him when he cried and he told me, "when I was in there" and pointed to the school. Okay, true, lol.  I got bits and pieces out of him throughout the afternoon.  It was funny b/c he didn't eat any of his snack, but he did drink his milk.  I could picture him, looking all around, taking it all in.  He's really never sat down and eaten with kids his own age.  My mom joked that he didn't know that other kids eat since Carter doesn't.  ;)  Needless to say, at lunchtime, Oliver ate like a truck driver!  I did make sure to tell him that it's ok to eat his snack at school.  We'll see what happens on Thursday...

I think that the hardest adjustment for me will be not having the face-time with his teacher that I get with Carter's (AWESOME) preschool teacher.  Miss Ashley will send home a "progress report" monthly but other than that, I have to rely on what he Oliver tells me.  I emailed his teacher last night to ask her for his classmates' names so that I can send in goodie bags for his birthday.  She emailed me back after he had left and she told me that he'd had a great first day, he was a good listener, a great helper and was eager to learn.  And he sure is a ham...Below is his "cheese" pose.



The funniest part of the whole day (and I'm still kicking myself for not taking a picture) was when I put his backpack on him for a photo-op before leaving our house and he literally fell backwards onto his butt in the kitchen.  Doug and I had a good laugh about that in the car after dropping him off, which took my tears away.  My sweet Oliver is growing up!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment